On the same day that the LA Times wrote what some are calling a false balance about Bob Sears, SB 276 passed the California Assembly and Gavin Newsom called for the addition of amendments that would protect doctors who have been writing an excessive amount of medical exemptions.
Reactions to SB 276 Passing the Assembly
As the amendments only serve to weaken SB276, Governor Newsom should consider backing off on his request to change the bill, especially as he had previously said he would support it.
Especially as most of those folks still don’t understand exactly what SB276 does!
What silent loophole are these folks talking about?
The nephew of California State Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez is immunocompromised.
“His doctor said no, he can’t have live vaccines, so no, he can’t be immunized against measles or chicken pox. Every time he is not in the hospital, he wants to be in school, but those diseases could kill him. Definitely put him back in the hospital. These are the children, the truly medically fragile children that we are trying to prevent from getting these diseases and why it’s so important.”California State Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez Assembly Floor Session, Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019
He has a medical exemption to getting vaccinated.
Unless the medical exemption is to all vaccines and not just live vaccines, he won’t lose his exemption and won’t need a “silent loophole.”
Having a “known severe immunodeficiency” is a well known contraindication to getting live vaccines, including MMR and the chickenpox vaccine.
SB276 also doesn’t limit the number of medical exemptions that doctors can write. It just states that if a doctor writes 5 or more exemptions in a calendar year, then those exemptions will be reviewed by a medical panel to make sure that they are legitimate.
Why do 5 exemptions trigger a review? Because the average doctor will likely not need to write that many medical exemptions, as there are very few true medical reasons to avoid or skip vaccines. What if a doctor writes 10 or 15 legitimate medical exemptions? If they are reviewed and found to be legitimate, then 10 or 15 of their patients will have medical exemptions!
Are Newsom’s amendments going to stop folks who are talking about revolutions?
Is it going to protect kids from those who might continue to get unnecessary, permanent exemptions until the protections of SB 276 finally do take effect?
More on SB276
- Are There 6 Reasons to Oppose SB276?
- Is SB 276 a Civil Rights Issue?
- Will SB276 Revoke Legitimate Medical Exemptions?
- Have Doctors in California Stopped Writing Medical Exemptions?
- Is California Considering the Strictest Vaccine Law in the Country?
- Bob Sears Doubles Down Against California Vaccine Laws
- Does the CDC Determine Medical Exemptions for Vaccines?
- How to Claim a Vaccine Exemption
- More Questions to Help You Become a Vaccine Skeptic
- After SB 277, medical exemptions to vaccine mandates for sale, courtesy of Dr. Bob Sears
- Dr Bob Sears medical license on probation resulting from his anti-vaccine views
- One Doctor Is Responsible for a Third of All Medical Vaccine Exemptions in San Diego
- Senate Bill 276 will strengthen oversight of the medial exemption process, which some doctors in the state are abusing by selling medical exemptions to parents
- Why is the Church of Scientology helping antivaxers in a last ditch attempt to block passage of SB 276?
- SB 276 FAQ
- California Assembly advances crackdown on vaccine exemptions, but governor wants to change the bill
Last Updated on