California is close to passing a new vaccine law, SB 276, that will help close a loophole that has allowed doctors to write inappropriate medical exemptions for vaccines.
But is SB 276 the strictest vaccine law in the country?
Is California Considering the Strictest Vaccine Law in the Country?
To be sure, California is one of the few states that doesn’t allow non-medical exemptions. But that was accomplished with SB 277, a vaccine law that eliminated personal belief vaccine exemptions in California back in 2015.
So why are they back with a new vaccine law?
Again, too many doctors were writing inappropriate medical exemptions.
But far from becoming the strictest vaccine law in the country, SB 276 simply catches California up with a few other states that don’t allow non-medical exemptions.
I say catch-up, because unlike California under SB 277, these states have strict rules about what counts as a medical exemption.
Doctors in these states can’t abuse the system and write unnecessary or fake medical exemptions for kids whose parents are simply scared to get their kids vaccinated.
West Virginia and Mississippi are the main states that have not allowed non-medical exemptions.
“Requests for a medical exemption from vaccine requirements shall be reviewed and approved or denied by the State Immunization Officer. “West Virginia Medical Exemptions Information
They have recently been joined by New York and Maine.
“May be detrimental to the child’s health means that a physician has determined that a child has a medical contraindication or precaution to a specific immunization consistent with ACIP guidance or other nationally recognized evidence-based standard of care.”New York Codes, Rules and Regulations Section 66-1.1
But since all medical exemptions in California, under SB276, won’t have to be approved, California is hardly considering the strictest vaccine law in the country.
More on Vaccine Laws
- Does SB 276 Eliminate Medical Exemptions?
- What Is Standard of Care?
- Does the CDC Determine Medical Exemptions for Vaccines?
- How Is California’s New Vaccine Law Working?
- How to Claim a Vaccine Exemption
- Bob Sears Doubles Down Against California Vaccine Laws
- Vaccine Exemption Bill Wins Approval From California’s Medical Board
- West Virginia Medical Exemptions Information
- The New York State Department of Health Notification of Legislation Removing Non-medical Exemptions to Required Vaccinations
- Frequently Asked Questions About Legislation Removing Non-Medical Exemptions from School Vaccination Requirements
- New York Codes, Rules and Regulations Section 66-1.1
- New York Immunization-Related Medical Exemptions for School-Aged Children
- New York Statement on Legislation Removing Non-Medical Exemption from School Vaccination Requirements
- New York School Survey Instruction Booklet Questions and Answers
- School Exemption Laws by State
- States With Religious and Philosophical Exemptions From School
- The problem of nonmedical exemptions to school vaccine mandates