Here’s a tip for pre-med students – simply going to a good, or even great medical school, doesn’t guarantee that you will become a good doctor. Or even that you won’t become a bad doctor.
There are plenty of folks that end up being quacks that have gone to NYU, Harvard, and Dartmouth, etc.
“Gordon hated medical school. He almost flunked out.”Pediatrician Jay Gordon Talks Babies, Breast Feeding, Vaccines and Almost Flunking Out of Medical School
But there are a few things that anti-vaccine pediatricians have in common.
What Do Anti-Vaccine Doctors Know About Vaccines?
For one thing, they never consider themselves to be anti-vaccine.
That probably goes without saying. Well, at least by them.
There is something else that they have in common that likely won’t surprise you.
They all say that they didn’t learn very much about vaccines in medical school or residency!
In fact, Bob Sears and Paul Thomas say that they learned nothing about vaccines and they are the ones who wrote books with alternative immunization schedules that are influencing parents to avoid vaccinating and protecting their kids.
Having read their books, I believe them!
“We got a lot of microbiology. We learned about diseases. We learned that vaccines were the solution to those diseases what they say are “vaccine preventable,” that’s the term that they used in my world, but what’s in the vaccines, I don’t really remember really learning anything.”Paul Thomas
Does that mean he doesn’t think that measles and polio and other diseases can really be prevented by vaccines?
“During your training in the hospital, you get everything else except vaccines. You learn about all of the rare things. All of the super rare disorders that you may never see in the office. That’s what we spend the time learning and and and almost nothing about vaccination.”Bob Sears
Is anyone surprised that Suzanne Humphries, Joseph Mercola, and these other folks didn’t learn anything about vaccines during their training?
“Don’t buy into the lore, don’t make assumptions, and understand that the philosophical underpinnings of the vaccination program are predicated on an antiquated perspective: warring against and attempting to eradicate bad germs. Science has left that childlike notion in the dust, and so should we.”Kelly Brogan
Do you think that Kelly Brogan, a holistic psychiatrist, learned much about vaccines at NYU? Anything about science???
Why does anyone listen to these folks?
But they learned about vaccines later, right?
“Robert Sears became interested in vaccines as a medical student after reading “DPT: A Shot in the Dark,” a 1985 book that argued that the whooping cough vaccine was dangerous. (The makeup of the vaccine has since been changed.) Sears said the book, which helped spark a backlash against vaccines, exposed him to ideas he wasn’t hearing in school.”Vaccination controversy swirls around O.C.’s ‘Dr. Bob’
Maybe, but as in the case of Dr. Bob, it is important to note that he was influenced by a book that we know to be wrong. Later studies have shown that the original DPT vaccine did not cause any of the serious side effects that were originally blamed on it, including in the anti-vaccine book that got him started.
More on Anti-Vaccine Doctors
- Do Anti-Vaccine Pediatricians Lose Millions Not Vaccinating Kids?
- Money and Motivation of the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- Those Times Alternative Medicine Got It Wrong
- How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Hurts Autistic Families
- Disease Friendly Doctors
- Would a Doctor Ever Say These Things About Vaccines?
- The Moral Responsibility of the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- What Are the Greatest Tricks Anti-Vaccine Folks Use to Persuade Parents to Skip Vaccines?
- What Is Standard of Care?
- Anti-Vaccine Heroes and Experts
- Do Pediatricians Vaccinate Their Own Kids?
- Vaccination controversy swirls around O.C.’s ‘Dr. Bob’
- Dr. Jay Gordon
- Dr. Jay Gordon defends Jenny McCarthy
- A Mother’s Denial, a Daughter’s Death
- Pediatrician Jay Gordon Talks Babies, Breast Feeding, Vaccines and Almost Flunking Out of Medical School
- Doctor Contrarian
- A Vocal Attack on Vaccines
- When another doctor stops behaving like one
- Poor, poor pitiful me: Jenny McCarthy and Dr. Jay Gordon after The Vaccine War
- Dr. Jay Gordon: Will you please stop claiming you’re not an antivaccinationist?
- A homeopath and Dr. Jay will teach you about vaccines—and, no doubt, autism
- Promoters of Questionable Methods and/or Advice
- Dr. Paul Thomas: A rising star in the antivaccine movement
- The Disneyland measles outbreak: “Dr. Bob” Sears says measles isn’t that bad
- When another doctor stops behaving like one
- Antivaccine pediatrician Dr. Bob Sears finally faces discipline from the Medical Board of California
- I Was Wrong About Vaccines