Toby Rogers believes that “the autism epidemic is thalidomide, The Big Short, & Spotlight all in one. The biggest medical mistake in history, driven by profit, covered up by ppl we trust.”
At least that’s what you see on his Twitter profile if you aren’t blocked, like I am…
Who is Toby Rogers?
Even with all of those initials after his name (his PhD is in economics), it is easy to dismiss his claims once you see what they are.
For example, take a look at his recent “numbers needed to treat” thread on Twitter.
He uses a comparison between the COVID-19 mortality rate and vaccine injury rate for COVID-19 vaccines that are being developed, trying to say the risks will outweigh the benefits of the vaccine.
Do you notice a problem with his math?
The 2.6% to 6% range numbers he has made up are really about mild side effects, like fever and pain. They are not for severe adverse reactions and are certainly not for vaccine deaths, which are extremely rare.
The Folks Listening to Toby Rogers
While it would be easy to dismiss someone like Toby Rogers as just another psuedo-expert pushing misinformation and propaganda that vaccines are associated with autism, there is a problem with that strategy.
“Bogdan also broached the subject with one of her patients, Joyce Brooks, a black woman who heads the education committee of the Colorado NAACP. Brooks helped arrange a presentation for the Denver chapter’s leadership by Colorado anti-vaccination activist Phil Silberman and Toby Rogers, an economist who frequently attacks the safety of vaccines on social media and has done work in the past for Kennedy’s Children’s Health Defense nonprofit group.”Anti-vaccination leaders fuel black mistrust of medical establishment as covid-19 kills people of color
“Toby Rogers and the University of Sydney’s School of Social and Political Sciences, for awarding Rogers a doctorate on the basis of his PhD thesis The Political Economy of Autism, which uncritically cites junk science to support the conspiracy theory that a capital conquest of science and medicine has caused a global autism epidemic through exposure to environmental toxicants such as pesticides, antidepressants and vaccines.”Australian Skeptics Bent Spoon Nominations
Know who you are getting your vaccine information and advice from.
More on Toby Rogers
- How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Hurts Autistic Families
- Anti-Vax Groups Are Targeting Minority Communities
- Do One Out of 39 Vaccinated Children Suffer Serious Injuries?
- Are Fewer Than 1% of Vaccine Injuries Reported to VAERS?
- Are There Any Long-Term Studies On Vaccine Safety?
- Explaining the Correlation of Autism After Vaccines
- The Myth of an Autism Epidemic
- Reasons to Be Confident in a COVID-19 Vaccine
- Vaccines and Autism Redux
- Anti-vaccination leaders fuel black mistrust of medical establishment as covid-19 kills people of color
- Anti-Vaccine Movement, Racism And COVID-19 Collide In Colorado
- Racist Pundit Michelle Malkin Headlines Anti-Vaccine Rally at Colorado Capitol Sunday
- V is for Vaccine: Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Del Bigtree rile up an antivaccine demonstration against SB 276
- Australian Skeptics Bent Spoon Nominations
- IAC – Ask the Experts about COVID-19 and Routine Vaccination