Unfortunately, we have gotten used to the modern anti-vaccine movement doing some horrible things. What’s one of the very worst? Taking advantage of the parents of children who have recently died of SIDS or SUDC.
Making parents think that their baby died because of vaccines.
How the Anti-Vax Movement Takes Advantage of SIDS and SUDC Families
Although we have seen folks like Larry Cook do this time and again, it isn’t what is best for these families.
“When a child dies unexpectedly, a family may feel a flood of emotions, including guilt, anger and lack of control. The clinician’s role is to offer stable support, information and compassionate care. In order to provide the most appropriate care for families in these situations, it is necessary to understand the complexities of the grief and trauma response and to recognize that the families’ needs will change over time.”Caring for the SUDC Family: Medical and Bereavement Information for the Clinicians’ Consideration
What do anti-vax folks offer to these grieving families?
“During an open investigation, do not speculate on the cause of death with the family. Although this may feel supportive, it often undermines the relationship with the Medical Examiner/Coroner who is legally charged with determining cause of death and adds stress for the family when clinicians and the investigating authorities disagree. It is optimal that clinicians and Medical Examiners/Coroners communicate directly for the best interests of the family. “Caring for the SUDC Family: Medical and Bereavement Information for the Clinicians’ Consideration
They offer an answer…
“Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood (SUDC) is a category of death in children between the ages of 1 and 18 that remains unexplained after a thorough investigation, including an autopsy.”Facts About Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood
Often when answers haven’t been available.
“Dealing with the sudden, unexpected death of a baby to any cause is devastating – but in the case of a death for which no specific cause can be found, the lack of answers about why your baby has died can be overwhelming.”Surviving the Sudden Death of a Baby
And whether it is Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID), or SUDC, invariably, the “answer” that they offer is that they should blame vaccines.
Of course, they shouldn’t.
Vaccines are safe, with few risks.
Vaccines are not associated with SIDS.
Vaccines are not associated with SUID.
Vaccines are not associated with SUDC.
Shame on these folks for making grieving parents think that they are.
These families would get much better help from organizations like the SUDC Foundation and first candle.
More on Caring for SIDS and SUDC Families
- How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Takes Advantage of Dead Children and Their Parents
- Was SIDS Discovered Only After We Began Vaccinating Kids
- Are Package Inserts Evidence That Vaccines Cause SIDS and Autism?
- Did 79.4% of the Reported Child Deaths to VAERS Get a Vaccine on the Day They Died?
- What Happened When Sweden Stop Using the DPT Vaccine?
- How Many People Die in the USA Every Year from Being Vaccinated?
- First Day Deaths and the Hepatitis B Vaccine
- More Questions to Help You Become a Vaccine Skeptic
- Caring for the SUDC Family: Medical and Bereavement Information for the Clinicians’ Consideration
- Surviving the Sudden Death of a Baby
- How do you explain SUDC to someone?
- Facts About Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood
- Supporting the family after the death of a child.
- The Physician’s Role When a Child Dies
- Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood
- How can I reduce the risk of SIDS?
- AAP’s Infant Safe Sleep Recommendations
- Kisses for Conor
- How anti-vaxxers target grieving moms and turn them into crusaders
- CDC – About SUID and SIDS
- Study – Sudden unexpected death in early childhood: general observations in a series of 151 cases
- Study – Sudden unexpected death in childhood: a report of 50 cases.
- Study – Vaccination and 30-Day Mortality Risk in Children, Adolescents, and Young Adults
- Study – Deaths following vaccination: What does the evidence show?
- Study – Deaths Reported to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, United States, 1997-2013.
- Study – Mortality rates and cause-of-death patterns in a vaccinated population.
- Study – Sudden Unexpected Deaths and Vaccinations during the First
- Evee Gayle Clobes – another tragedy incorrectly blamed on vaccines
- Two Years of Life in Italy: A Case Series Study
- Nick Catone’s son dies tragically – blaming vaccines with no evidence
- No, vaccines almost certainly did not kill Elijah Daniel French
- A sad, premature death cynically exploited by antivaccinationists
- A tragic as yet unexplained death, exploited by antivaccinationists
1 thought on “How the Anti-Vax Movement Takes Advantage of SIDS and SUDC Families”
This is the vilest part of the Anti-Vax “movement”. Harassing people who lost their children. And of course, this crook encourages it! I have seen far too many stories of people buying into this “answer”.
Dr. Ianelli, I want to thank you for your hard work. This blog is my go to resource when arguing with an Anti-Vaxxer.