Do you ever wonder what would happen if we stopped vaccinating our kids?
You don’t have to wonder.
What Happened When Sweden Stop Using the DPT Vaccine?
It’s been done…
Remember when Sweden stopped using the DPT vaccine?
Between 1979 and 1996, Sweden suspended vaccination against pertussis because of concerns about the DPT vaccine.
And what happened?
“In 1979, the Swedish medical society abandoned whole-cell pertussis vaccine and decided to wait for a new, safer, more effective vaccine – a strategy that was soon adopted as national policy. During 1980-83, annual incidence for children aged 0–4 years increased to 3370 per 100000, with rates of serious complications approaching global rates. In subsequent years, Sweden reported more than 10000 cases annually with an incidence exceeding 100 per 100000, comparable to rates reported in some developing countries.”Ganarosa et al on Impact of anti-vaccine movements on pertussis control: the untold story.
Pertussis came back.
In fact, endemic pertussis came back.
“Our evaluation of pertussis in the unimmunized child population gave an answer to the question of whether pertussis nowadays is a harmless disease which does not demand general vaccination. The present situation regarding pertussis in Sweden and the low efficacy of the antimicrobial treatment indicate an urgent need to prevent the disease by general vaccination as soon as a safe and effective vaccine is available.”Romanus et al on Pertussis in Sweden after the cessation of general immunization in 1979.
All of the claims against the whole cell pertussis vaccine ended up being untrue.
Not surprisingly, even though they weren’t using the DPT vaccine, rates of SIDS didn’t drop until they implemented the back to sleep recommendations.
If vaccines are associated with SIDS, shouldn’t the incidence of SIDS have decreased when they stopped giving infants the DPT vaccine?
More on What Happens If We Stop Vaccinating
- VAXOPEDIA – Ask 8 Questions Before You Skip a Vaccine
- VAXOPEDIA – Was SIDS Discovered Only After We Began Vaccinating Kids?
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccines and SIDS
- VAXOPEDIA – Are Package Inserts Evidence That Vaccines Cause SIDS and Autism?
- VAXOPEDIA – Did 79.4% of the Reported Child Deaths to VAERS Get a Vaccine on the Day They Died?
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccine Injuries vs Coincidences
- VAXOPEDIA – Lea Thompson and Her Vaccine Roulette
- VAXOPEDIA – Does Japan have the Lowest Infant Mortality Rate Following a Ban on Mandatory Vaccinations?
- VAXOPEDIA – Those Times Other Countries Impulsively Banned Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Anti-Vaxxers Should Be Able to Answer These Questions Correctly
- VAXOPEDIA – Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Immunizations
- VAXOPEDIA – 100 Myths About Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Making Sense of Anti-Vaccine Arguments
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccine Analogies and Metaphors
- VAXOPEDIA – What Are the Pro and Con Arguments for Vaccines?
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated – Measles Outbreak Edition
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccinated vs. Unvaccinated Studies
- Study – Impact of anti-vaccine movements on pertussis control: the untold story
- Study – Pertussis in Sweden after the cessation of general immunization in 1979.
- Sudden infant death syndrome-epidemiology and environmental factors. Prevention is still a challenge
- Autism phenotype versus registered diagnosis in Swedish children: prevalence trends over 10 years in general population samples
- Study – No effect of MMR withdrawal on the incidence of autism: a total population study.
- Japanese study is more evidence that MMR does not cause autism
- Study – History repeats itself in Japan: Failure to learn from rubella epidemic leads to failure to provide the HPV vaccine
- Study – Acellular pertussis vaccines in Japan: past, present and future.
- Study – A comparative study of the incidence of aseptic meningitis in symptomatic natural mumps patients and monovalent mumps vaccine recipients in Japan.
- Anti-Vaccination Fever: The Shot Hurt Around the World