We know that we are seeing more pertussis cases these days.
Although the last few years have been better, 2012 was an especially bad year, with at least 48,277 cases and tragically, at least 4 deaths.
Are Reported Pertussis Cases up by 114% Since 1967?
How does that compare to the the pre-vaccine era?
Cases are still well below what they were in the pre-vaccine era, before we were routinely using DPT and DTaP vaccines.
What about the idea that pertussis cases are up 114% since 1967?
While that may be true, the first thing you should ask yourself when looking at Lauren Novelli’s little graph, is why did she choose 1967?
Reported Pertussis Cases Are Down Since the Pre-Vaccine Era
We did start using a new vaccine in 1967, but it was the measles vaccine, not the DPT vaccine. Vaccines against diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus had been available for some time and were used more routinely beginning in the 1950s.
And that explains the drop in pertussis cases from just over 120,000 in 1950 to about 40,000 in 1959.
More importantly, even as pertussis cases are increasing again, we aren’t seeing as many people dying from pertussis.
Is that because of better hygiene, sanitation, and nutrition?
We had those in most of the United States in the 1950s and 60s. The big change is that even though the current pertussis vaccine might not be perfect, having issues with waning immunity, it can still protect you from severe disease.
Vaccinating against pertussis is far from useless and there is absolutely no evidence of dormant bacteria carriers being triggered into becoming active infections.
This is pure propaganda, but you should expect no less from someone who describes themselves as an intuitive nurse and sells CBD oil.
More on Reported Pertussis Cases
- More Questions to Help You Become a Vaccine Skeptic
- Making a Better Pertussis Vaccine
- What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Pertussis
- Do More Vaccinated or Unvaccinated Kids Get Pertussis?
- Can Vaccinated Children Be Asymptomatic Carriers of Pertussis?
- A Shot at the Dark – DPT vs DTaP
- CDC – Pertussis Surveillance and Reporting
- CDC – Reported Cases and Deaths from Vaccine Preventable Diseases, United States
- Study – Reduced Severity of Pertussis in Persons With Age-Appropriate Pertussis Vaccination-United States, 2010-2012.
- Study – Parental refusal of pertussis vaccination is associated with an increased risk of pertussis infection in children.
- Study – The 112-Year Odyssey of Pertussis and Pertussis Vaccines-Mistakes Made and Implications for the Future
- California experiences 1st infant pertussis death in 2019