Few vaccines have generated as many myths as the HPV vaccine. Well at least not since folks falsely started to blame the MMR vaccine for causing an autism epidemic.
The HPV vaccines get their own myths though, from the idea that they encourage kids to have unprotected sex (they don’t) to the creation of a new disorder – ASIA (which most people think doesn’t exist).
Discussing the HPV vaccine on the Ricki Lake Show, Dr. Jay Gordon said that:
I don’t like this vaccine… Heaven help us if we have a generation of kids who get a hepatitis B vaccine and a HPV vaccine and they think that now unprotected sex is okay…
I don’t think it is really clear that this vaccine is really as safe as they say it is and it is certainly not as dangerous as they say it is, but I recommend against it in my practice.
Not surprisingly, studies have confirmed that HPV vaccines are safe and they don’t encourage kids to unprotected sex.
And this is the vaccine that Rep. Michele Bachmann said caused mental retardation:
She told me that her little daughter took that vaccine, that injection. And she suffered from mental retardation thereafter.
The president of the AAP had to correct her on that one.
For more information:
- HPV Vaccines: Answering the Questions Parents May Have
- HPV Vaccine Safety
- HPV ACIP Vaccine Recommendation
- Just Another Shot: Reframing the HPV Vaccine
- History of the HPV Vaccines
- HPV Vaccine Safety and Acceptance
- Gardasil safety and efficacy – debunking the HPV vaccine myths
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine Safety Assessed In Most Comprehensive Study To Date
- HPV vaccines and failure to communicate
- Dr. Diane Harper and HPV vaccines –the tin foil hat version
- Updated – Japan and HPV vaccine – debunking myths
- HPV vaccine and multiple sclerosis – no increased risk
- HPV vaccine causes primary ovarian insufficiency – myth
- Gardasil causes behavioral issues – more myth debunking
- HPV vaccine is unrelated to venous blood clots in another huge study
- Religion vs Gardasil
- HPV vaccine adverse events – this time, POTS
- Gardasil DNA and aluminum – myth debunking time
- Antivaccinationists against the HPV vaccine , Round 5,000
- Study should dispel HPV vaccine myths
- Why Some Parents Are Refusing HPV Vaccine For Their Children
- Is a Gardasil researcher really against the vaccine?