Anti-vaccine folks don’t seem to like that they are getting more attention these days.
Why are they getting more attention?
More unvaccinated folks are getting sick.
But Did Anyone Die?
Is that really such a big deal though?
It’s not like anyone has died in all of these outbreaks, is it?
Actually, they have…
“New details about the first confirmed measles death in the U.S. since 2003 show that the victim, a 28-year-old woman with underlying health problems, was likely exposed to the virus at a Port Angeles tribal health clinic.
Nearly three dozen other people also were potentially exposed to the highly contagious germ on Jan. 29, 2015, at the Lower Elwha Health Clinic by a 52-year-old man who became the first case of measles confirmed in Clallam County in two decades.”Fatal measles case linked to exposure at tribal clinic, records show
So yes, someone did die during the recent measles outbreaks.
A 28-year-old woman died in Clallam County, Washington.
Not everyone is all better.
And during the 2013 measles outbreak in Brooklyn, a pregnant woman with measles was hospitalized and had a miscarriage.
But it isn’t just measles…
So, did anyone die?
Yes, tragically people have died because of the anti-vaccine movement.
More on Vaccine Preventable Disease Deaths
- VAXOPEDIA – People with Cancer Are at Risk from Unvaccinated Kids
- VAXOPEDIA – How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Hurts Autistic Families
- VAXOPEDIA – Are Flu Deaths Exaggerated?
- VAXOPEDIA – When Was the Last Measles Death in the United States?
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated – Smallpox Edition
- VAXOPEDIA – Who Dies with Measles?
- VAXOPEDIA – Who Dies from Chicken Pox?
- VAXOPEDIA – Who Dies from the Flu?
- VAXOPEDIA – When Was the Last Time Someone Died from Being Bitten by a Rabid Dog in the United States?
- VAXOPEDIA – The Myth That Measles Isn’t Deadly
- VAXOPEDIA – Grave Reminders of Life Before Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Four Generations of Vaccines and Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- VAXOPEDIA – Vaccine Timeline and History of Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Personal Stories About Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
- VAXOPEDIA – Polio Survivor Stories
- How to Inoculate Against Anti-Vaxxers
- Anti-vaxxers are still spreading false claims as people die of measles
- Anti-Vaccination Is Killing Children In Europe
- How the anti-vaccine movement is endangering lives
- Victims, vectors and villains: are those who opt out of vaccination morally responsible for the deaths of others?
- Children with cancer: stories from the 2011 measles outbreaks
- To the Parent of the Unvaccinated Child Who Exposed my Family to Measles
- One more time: Vaccine refusal endangers everyone, not just the unvaccinated
- To the parent who risked my kid’s life
- Mother of leukemia-stricken child speaks out about importance of vaccines
- CDC – Notes from the Field: Measles Outbreak Among Members of a Religious Community — Brooklyn, New York, March–June 2013
- MMWR – Notes from the Field: Varicella-Associated Death of a Vaccinated Child with Leukemia — California, 2012
- MMWR – Varicella Death of an Unvaccinated, Previously Healthy Adolescent — Ohio, 2009
- CDC – What Would Happen If We Stopped Vaccinations?
- CDC – Benefits from Immunization During the Vaccines for Children Program Era — United States, 1994–2013
- CDC – Reported Cases and Deaths from Vaccine Preventable Diseases, United States
- Study – The state of the antivaccine movement in the United States: A focused examination of nonmedical exemptions in states and counties
- The Anti-vaccination Movement: A Regression in Modern Medicine
- Fatal measles case linked to exposure at tribal clinic, records show
- Report: Clallam’s measles outbreak price tag comes in at $223,223
- The Disneyland measles outbreak: “Dr. Bob” Sears says measles isn’t that bad, and an antivaccine activist invokes the Brady Bunch fallacy
- One Map Sums Up The Damage Caused By The Anti-Vaccination Movement
- The threat of the anti-vaccine stance: Part I