Have you heard this argument?
Apparently, some folks think that because we have a National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program that compensates those who have serious problems after a vaccine, even deaths, then it must mean that vaccines are dangerous.
Do the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program Payouts Prove that Vaccines are Dangerous?
To most other people, that argument doesn’t hold water.
Because we know that:
- the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program is a no-fault alternative to the traditional legal system for resolving vaccine injury petitions
- of over 3.1 billion doses of vaccines that were distributed in the United States between 2006 and 2016, there were 3,749 compensated claims through the NVICP
- almost 80% of all compensated awards by the NVICP come as a “result of a negotiated settlement between the parties in which HHS has not concluded, based upon review of the evidence, that the alleged vaccine(s) caused the alleged injury.”
- the NVICP settlements are funded by an excise tax on vaccines
- the NVICP cases are published by the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, so all information is disclosed to the public and no safety concerns are hidden
So what does the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) really prove?
It proves that true vaccine injuries are very rare – about 1 in a million rare.
It proves that while vaccines are not 100% safe, they are very safe.
And it proves that anti-vaccine arguments are very easy to refute…
More on the NVICP and Vaccine Safety
- What You Need to Know about the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- Vaccine Injury Table (Revised and Effective March 21, 2017)
- Vaccine Injury Compensation Data
- Vaccine Claims/Office of Special Masters
- If vaccines are safe, why has the US gov. paid out $3 BILLION to vaccine-injured families?
- Debunking anti-vaccine arguments: VAERS, package inserts, and the VICP do not prove that vaccines are dangerous
- National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program facts
- Vaccine injury payouts – another trope that abuses NVICP statistics
- Vaccine Injury Compensation Programs
- Using NVICP cases to prove vaccine-autism link – anti-vaxxers get it wrong
- Who Pays for VICP?
- A look at the numbers in vaccine reactions
- Vaccine court myths – instead, here are facts about the NVICP
- Vaccine Court – causation and administrative discretion
- Vaccine injury and compensation
- The Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- OH NO! The US has paid out $2 BILLION in vaccine injury compensation! That must mean vaccines are dangerous!