Breaking News – The first case of measles in 2023 – an unvaccinated adult – was reported in Washington. (see below)
We are starting 2023 with an ongoing measles outbreak in Ohio, which has risen to at least 85 cases and spread to Kentucky!
After seeing a record high and low number of measles cases in the United States in the last few years, what can we expect in 2023, as measles epidemics are once again being reported around the world and travel restrictions have loosened??
2023 Measles Outbreaks
“The Columbus, Ohio, area measles outbreak has increased to 82 cases, with 32 hospitalized. Of the 82 patients, 74 were unvaccinated. The others had unknown status or were partly vaccinated.Measles outbreak continues in Ohio
Local news reports say 24 kids have required hospitalization.”
- an unvaccinated adult in Washington who exposed others at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and the Providence Swedish First Hill Emergency Department (Jan 2023)
Unfortunately, I think we can expect more measles…
Less travel because of the COVID-19 pandemic has kept measles cases low in the United States, but unless folks get vaccinated and protected, they will rise as travel restrictions ease.
Are you vaccinated and protected with two doses of MMR?
More on the 2023 Measles Outbreaks:
- The Next COVID-19 Wave Might Not Be COVID-19
- How Contagious Is Measles?
- Why Are You Still Worried About the MMR Vaccine?
- What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Measles
- Can MMR Shedding Start a Measles Outbreak?
- A History of Measles Outbreaks in the United States
- When Was the Last Measles Death in the United States?
- Costs of a Measles Outbreak
- CDC – Measles Cases and Outbreaks
- Measles – Timeline | History of Vaccine
- Ask the Experts about MMR
- UNICEF and WHO warn of perfect storm of conditions for measles outbreaks, affecting children
- Somali Community Measles Forum #1
- Somali Community Measles Forum #2