Breaking News – We ended 2022 with at least 121 cases of measles. (see below)
As bad a year for measles as we had in 2019, the COVID-19 travel restrictions have essentially put an end to most measles outbreaks in the last few years, at least they have in the United States.
In fact, we had a record low number of measles cases in the United States in 2020.
2022 Measles Outbreaks
“The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is working closely with Hennepin County Public Health and health care providers to investigate two confirmed cases of measles in children who are siblings and live in Hennepin County.”Health officials confirm two cases of measles in Hennepin County siblings
- an unvaccinated individual with recent international travel in Fairfax County, Virginia with exposures in Centerville and Falls Church (Feb 2022)
- an unvaccinated child in Northern Virginia who developed measles while traveling internationally, with exposures in Ashburn and Falls Church (May 2022)
- two unvaccinated, preschool age children who had traveled internationally in Hennepin County, Minnesota (June 2022)
- three unvaccinated people (including two children) in Maricopa County, Arizona, including one that was hospitalized. The outbreak was related to international travel. (Sept 2022)
- it started with four unvaccinated children, but the measles outbreak in the Twin Cities metro area of Minnesota, including Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Dakota counties, continues to grow and is now made up of at least five separate clusters of cases, including at least 22 children and adults, including nine children who required hospitalization. (Sept-Nov 2022)
- at least four cases in unvaccinated children at a daycare that has been closed down in Franklin County, Ohio, where there had already been four cases since June. (Nov 2022)
- eleven more cases in unvaccinated children in four more daycare centers in Franklin County, Ohio, bringing the total in this quickly expanding outbreak to 15 – all unvaccinated children under age 4 years. (Nov 2022)
- 3 more cases in Franklin County, Ohio, where the outbreak has expanded to 7 daycare centers and a school – all unvaccinated children, at least 6 who required hospitalization.
- the Franklin County, Ohio outbreak has expanded to include 46 cases, all unvaccinated children, including 19 who required hospitalization. (Nov 2022)
- the Franklin County, Ohio outbreak has expanded to include 59 cases, all unvaccinated children, including 23 who required hospitalization. Were you exposed at any of these sites in Columbus? (Dec 2022)
- the Franklin County, Ohio outbreak has expanded to include 74 cases, all unvaccinated children, including 26 who required hospitalization. Were you exposed at any of these sites in Columbus? (Dec 2022)
- at least two cases in Wayne County Michigan (Dec 2022)
- the still active outbreak in Central Ohio ended 2022 with 85 children, including 36 of which were hospitalized, 80 unvaccinated, 4 partially vaccinated and 1 with an unknown vaccination status. The majority of the cases have been between 1 to 5 years old.
- a case in Kentucky, which reportedly spread from the outbreak in Ohio
Unfortunately, I think we can expect more measles…
“Almost 17 338 measles cases were reported worldwide in January and February 2022, compared to 9665 during the first two months of 2021.”UNICEF and WHO warn of perfect storm of conditions for measles outbreaks, affecting children
Less travel because of the COVID-19 pandemic has kept measles cases low in the United States, but unless folks get vaccinated and protected, they will rise as travel restrictions ease.
Are you vaccinated and protected with two doses of MMR?
More on the 2022 Measles Outbreaks:
- The Next COVID-19 Wave Might Not Be COVID-19
- How Contagious Is Measles?
- Why Are You Still Worried About the MMR Vaccine?
- What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Measles
- Can MMR Shedding Start a Measles Outbreak?
- A History of Measles Outbreaks in the United States
- When Was the Last Measles Death in the United States?
- Costs of a Measles Outbreak
- CDC – Measles Cases and Outbreaks
- Measles – Timeline | History of Vaccine
- Ask the Experts about MMR
- UNICEF and WHO warn of perfect storm of conditions for measles outbreaks, affecting children
- Somali Community Measles Forum #1
- Somali Community Measles Forum #2