Breaking News – There have been ten travel related measles cases in Minnesota so far this year, including a new cluster with four unvaccinated children in Ramsey County. (see below)
As bad a year for measles as we had in 2019, the COVID-19 travel restrictions have essentially put an end to most measles outbreaks in the last few years, at least they have in the United States.
In fact, we had a record low number of measles cases in the United States in 2020.
2022 Measles Outbreaks
“The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) is working closely with Hennepin County Public Health and health care providers to investigate two confirmed cases of measles in children who are siblings and live in Hennepin County.”Health officials confirm two cases of measles in Hennepin County siblings
- two unvaccinated, preschool age children who had traveled internationally in Hennepin County, Minnesota (June 2022)
- three unvaccinated people (including two children) in Maricopa County, Arizona, including one that was hospitalized. The outbreak was related to international travel. (Sept 2022)
- four unvaccinated children in Ramsey County, Minnesota who had recently traveled out of the country (Sept 2022)
Unfortunately, I think we can expect more measles…
“Almost 17 338 measles cases were reported worldwide in January and February 2022, compared to 9665 during the first two months of 2021.”UNICEF and WHO warn of perfect storm of conditions for measles outbreaks, affecting children
Less travel because of the COVID-19 pandemic has kept measles cases low in the United States, but unless folks get vaccinated and protected, they will rise as travel restrictions ease.
Are you vaccinated and protected with two doses of MMR?
More on the 2022 Measles Outbreaks:
- The Next COVID-19 Wave Might Not Be COVID-19
- How Contagious Is Measles?
- Why Are You Still Worried About the MMR Vaccine?
- What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Measles
- Can MMR Shedding Start a Measles Outbreak?
- A History of Measles Outbreaks in the United States
- When Was the Last Measles Death in the United States?
- Costs of a Measles Outbreak
- CDC – Measles Cases and Outbreaks
- Measles – Timeline | History of Vaccine
- Ask the Experts about MMR
- UNICEF and WHO warn of perfect storm of conditions for measles outbreaks, affecting children