So far, as Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine has been approved, it has been approved for individuals aged 16 years and older.
So does that mean you can expect your older teens to be able to get a vaccine soon?
Will New COVID-19 Vaccines Be Approved for Kids?
As you might expect, it almost certainly doesn’t…
What if the FDA approves a COVID-19 vaccine “for use in individuals 16 years of age and older?”
Even then, it’s important to understand that what will really matter is how the Advisory Committee On Immunization Practices (ACIP) votes for the vaccine to be used.
And just as important, whether or not kids are included in any of the initial allocation plans.
And so far, they haven’t been…
So even if the first COVID-19 vaccines are approved for older teens who are at least 16 years old, it is very unlikely that any of them will be able to get vaccinated and protected for some time.
So when can we expect kids to be able to get vaccinated and protected against COVID-19?
It likely won’t be until more clinical trials are done that include kids. Fortunately, some of these trials have already started.
And there is also the issue of vaccine availability. Even after these vaccines get approved kids, it is going to take time to make enough doses to vaccinate and protect all of the highest risk people first. At some point though, vaccine plans will include kids with high risk conditions and then all of our kids.
Don’t expect that to happen in the next few months though.
More on COVID-19 Vaccines for Kids
- COVID-19 Vaccine Update
- Many Covid-19 Vaccines Were Studied With Saline Placebos
- Where Are the COVID-19 Package Inserts?
- The Truth About COVID-19 Vaccines
- Are Kids Dying With COVID-19?
- CDC – Phased Allocation of COVID-19 Vaccines
- CDC – COVID-19 Vaccination Program Interim Playbook for Jurisdiction Operations
- MMWR – The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Interim Recommendation for Allocating Initial Supplies of COVID-19 Vaccine — United States, 2020.
- A Framework for Equitable Allocation of Vaccine for the Novel Coronavirus
- When Will the COVID-19 Vaccine Be Available for Kids, and Will It Be Safe for Your Family?
- AAP: Include children in COVID-19 vaccine trials