Bob Sears is telling folks that the American Academy of Pediatrics says severe brain injuries are caused by vaccines.
Did the AAP say that?
“A causal relationship they say.”Bob Sears
No, they didn’t.
The researchers in Pediatrics didn’t even say that…
Did the AAP Say That Vaccines Cause Severe Brain Injury?
What did they say?
“This clustering suggests that a causal relationship between measles vaccine and encephalopathy may exist as a rare complication of measles immunization.”Weibel et al on Acute Encephalopathy Followed by Permanent Brain Injury or Death Associated With Further Attenuated Measles Vaccines: A Review of Claims Submitted to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
The study was about reports to VAERS…
Over 23 years, the researchers (in 1998) found reports of 48 cases of acute encephalopathy among about 75,000,000 children who were vaccinated, some clustered in the second week after they received a measles containing vaccine.
Does that mean that those measles containing vaccines caused the encephalopathy?
“In the absence of a specific test to determine vaccine causation, these 48 cases may include some nonvaccine cases representing background rates.”Weibel et al on Acute Encephalopathy Followed by Permanent Brain Injury or Death Associated With Further Attenuated Measles Vaccines: A Review of Claims Submitted to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
No, it doesn’t.
It was a signal that got some attention though.
And as it has been further investigated, there has been no evidence that measles containing vaccines cause encephalitis, at least not above 1 in a million background rates.
What does cause encephalitis?
“About 1 child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or with intellectual disability.”Complications of Measles
Measles, a life-threatening vaccine-preventable disease, causes encephalitis.
Are your kids vaccinated and protected with two doses of MMR?
More on Vaccines and Severe Brain Injury
- How Often Do Severe Events Occur After Vaccines?
- The Myth That Measles Isn’t Deadly
- Does the MMR Vaccine Cause More Seizures Than Measles?
- Myths About Warnings and Adverse Reactions in the MMR Package Inserts
- Are the Risks Greater Than the Benefits for Any Vaccines?
- Why Are You Still Worried About the MMR Vaccine?
- Complications of Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
- Study – Acute Encephalopathy Followed by Permanent Brain Injury or Death Associated With Further Attenuated Measles Vaccines: A Review of Claims Submitted to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- Study – Safety of Measles-Containing Vaccines in 1-Year-Old Children
- Do Vaccines Cause Meningitis or Encephalitis?
- CDC – Complications of Measles
- Yes, California children are dying of measles. Today. It’s called SSPE. Andrew Wakefield, Del Bigtree, Polly Tommey, stop lying about it.
- IOM – Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality
- Book – Vaccinophobia and Vaccine Controversies of the 21st Century