Why does gluten sometimes come up in discussions about vaccines?
Is it because a vaccine to treat people with Celiac disease is being tested?
It is more likely that it is because some people worry that vaccines contain gluten.
Which Vaccines Are Gluten-Free?
So which vaccines are gluten-free?
Fortunately, they all are, so you don’t have to worry about skipping or delaying your child’s vaccines if they have Celiac disease, a gluten sensitivity, or if you are simply following a gluten-free diet.
Vaccines and Food Allergies
What about non-active vaccine ingredients that might worry someone with food allergies?
There actually are some, including eggs, milk, gelatin, and yeast.
Talk to your pediatrician or a pediatric allergist if you are concerned about vaccine allergies. They can review the “Algorithm for treatment of patients with hypersensitivity reactions after vaccines,” which “provides a rational and organized approach for the evaluation and treatment of patients with suspected hypersensitivity.”
This is especially important if you think that your child is allergic to all vaccines, something that is almost unheard of, as vaccines have different components and are made in different ways.
You don’t have to worry about gluten though.
What To Know About Vaccines and Gluten
There is no gluten in vaccines and vaccines are actually in development to treat people with gluten sensitivity.
For More Information on Vaccine Allergies
- Study – Attitudes Regarding Food and Vaccine Safety Differ Between Patients with Celiac Disease and Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
- Some People Who Avoid Gluten Also Avoid Vaccines
- There’s No Gluten in Vaccines
- Review – Vaccination in children with allergy to non active vaccine components
- Satire – Merck announces all vaccines now gluten-free
- Vaccines and Allergies: What You Should Know
- An Algorithm for Treatment of Patients With Hypersensitivity Reactions After Vaccines
- Ask the Experts: Precautions and Contraindications
- Contraindications and Precautions to Commonly Used Vaccines in Adults
- Common Misperceived Contraindications to Vaccination
- Allergens in Vaccines
- Vaccine Screening Questionaires
- Antibiotics in Vaccines
- Gelatin in Vaccines
- Yeast in Vaccines
- Antivaccine lies–peanut oil and vaccines
- Do vaccines cause asthma or allergies?
- Are There Vaccines That Children With Allergies Need to Avoid?
- Addressing Parents’ Concerns: Do Vaccines Cause Allergic or Autoimmune Diseases?
Last Updated on