When you blow on a dog whistle, most people can’t hear it.
Dogs come running though.
Same thing applies to using dog whistles in politics or when talking about vaccines. These code words or phrases don’t mean anything to the average person, but they have special meaning to the right people.
For more information:
- Jill Stein and left wing antivaccine dog whistles
- “Dr. Bob” Sears: Perfecting the art of the antivaccine dog whistle
- Blowing the antivaccine dog whistle again
- Jill Stein Sort Of Answers The Autism-Vaccine Question
- An antivaccine-sympathetic legislator right in my own back yard
- Dog whistle politics
- Loaded language