What do you think happens if you miss your second dose of COVID-19 vaccine?
Well yeah, you won’t be fully vaccinated and protected…
Did You Miss Your Second Dose of COVID Vaccine?
But there is some good news!
You don’t have to start over if you miss or are late for your second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.
So while you should try and you should try and get your second on schedule, you do not need another first dose if you are late getting your second dose.
Just get your second dose as soon as you can!
In fact, the second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines is not even considered formally late or delayed until 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose.
“Although the second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible, it may be administered up to 42 days after the first dose when a delay is unavoidable. If the second dose is administered beyond the allowable interval, the series does not need to be restarted.”COVID-19 Vaccine Second-Dose Completion and Interval Between First and Second Doses Among Vaccinated Persons — United States, December 14, 2020−February 14, 2021
While the great majority of people get both doses, over 88% of people, that’s good news for the few who have been late getting their second dose.
And interestingly, some studies have suggested that one dose might be enough if you previously had a natural COVID-19 infection. More studies will have to be done before that becomes a formal recommendation though…
More on the Second Dose of COVID Vaccines
- COVID-19 Vaccination Questions and Answers
- COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Update
- COVID-19 Vaccination Goals
- Breakthrough COVID-19 Infections and Deaths
- The Truth About COVID-19 Vaccines
- How Long Does It Take for the COVID-19 Vaccines to Work?
- MMWR – COVID-19 Vaccine Second-Dose Completion and Interval Between First and Second Doses Among Vaccinated Persons — United States, December 14, 2020−February 14, 2021
- Coronavirus FAQ: Is It A Big Deal If I Skip Or Delay 2nd Dose Of My COVID Vaccine?
- Delayed Second Dose versus Standard Regimen for Covid-19 Vaccination
- Is It Safe to Delay a Second COVID Vaccine Dose?
- Delayed second dose of the BNT162b2 vaccine: innovation or misguided conjecture?
- IAC – Ask the Experts about COVID-19 Vaccines