Even though I grew up in Borough Park section of Brooklyn, this is probably the last article I ever thought I would be writing…
After all, what do I know about the Torah?
What Does the Torah Say About Vaccines?
Fortunately, it isn’t hard to find experts who have answered the question for us.
“We are obliged by the Torah “Venishmartem Meod L’nafshoseichem,” – “to guard our health” and if the recognized experts are telling us to vaccinate, then we must do it.”Der Yid Newspaper – Senseless! Heartless! Torah-less and Reckless
There are many people in the Orthodox community warning the parents who aren’t vaccinating their kids that they are on “the wrong path.”
“There are halachic obligations to care for one’s own health as well as to take measures to prevent harm and illness to others, and Jewish law defers to the consensus of medical experts in determining and prescribing appropriate medical responses to illness and prevention. Therefore, the consensus of major poskim (halachic decisors) supports the vaccination of children to protect them from disease, to eradicate illness from the larger community through so-called herd immunity, and thus to protect others who may be vulnerable. The vaccination of children who can medically be vaccinated is absolutely the only responsible course of action.”Statement on Vaccinations from the OU and Rabbinical Council of America
Again, Orthodox Jews are not against vaccines.
“Getting vaccinated according to recommended guidelines is not only vital for the health of both our community and the public-at-large, but it is also our halachic obligation.”Rabbi Hyim Shafner
More on What the Torah Say About Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Timeline of the Measles Outbreak in Brooklyn
- VAXOPEDIA – How an Anti-Vaccine Safety Handbook Has Caused the Longest Measles Outbreak in Recent History
- VAXOPEDIA – What Do We Know About the Rockland County Measles Outbreak
- VAXOPEDIA – News on the Latest Measles Outbreaks of 2019
- VAXOPEDIA – Where Is Measles on the Rise?
- VAXOPEDIA – What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Measles
- VAXOPEDIA – More Measles Myths
- VAXOPEDIA – Everything You Need to Know About the Measles Vaccine
- VAXOPEDIA – Ask 8 Questions Before You Skip a Vaccine
- VAXOPEDIA – Answers to Anti-Vaccine Talking Points
- VAXOPEDIA – 50 Ways to Get Educated About Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Anti-Vaccine Points Refuted A Thousand Times
- VAXOPEDIA – 100 Myths About Vaccines
- VAXOPEDIA – Making Sense of Anti-Vaccine Arguments
- VAXOPEDIA – What Are the Pro and Con Arguments for Vaccines?
- HISTORIC: Satmar Paper “Der Yid” Publishes Editorial in ENGLISH Blasting Anti-Vaxxers
- Measles Victim Calls For Mass Vaccination Events In Frum Communities Worldwide
- Georgetown rabbi takes a stand against measles outbreak
- Amid a Measles Outbreak, an Ultra-Orthodox Nurse Fights Vaccination Fears in Her Community
- How Orthodox Jewish Nurses Are Fighting ‘Anti-Vaccination Propaganda’ Targeting Their Community
- The Frum Nurses’ Association That Educates Anti-Vaxxers & Other Orthodox Jews in the News
- N.Y. Measles Outbreak: Local rabbi condemns those who “hide behind religious exemptions”
- What Does Jewish Law Say About Vaccination?
- Statement on Vaccinations from the OU and Rabbinical Council of America
- Vaccines, Hysteria, and Rabbinic Responsibility: A Plea from the Trenches
- Ending the current measles epidemic: Haredi rabbis get it right
- Senior haredi rabbis order followers to vaccinate their children
- Measles spike prompts letters from rabbis, government
- As Measles Spread, Leading Charedi Rabbis Come Out Strongly Against Anti-Vaxxers
- Anonymous anti-vaxxers push propaganda on local Orthodox community
- Vaccinations save lives
Last Updated on