Shingrix became the second shingles vaccine to be licensed in the United States, becoming the preferred shingles vaccine in 2017.
“Shingrix provides strong protection against shingles and PHN. Two doses of Shingrix is more than 90% effective at preventing shingles and PHN. Protection stays above 85% for at least the first four years after you get vaccinated.”What Everyone Should Know about Shingles Vaccine
The first, Zostavax, was licensed in 2006.
Both are for older adults.
The Shingles Vaccine Shortage
Having a new and better shingles vaccine is good!
Not being able to actually get the vaccine and get vaccinated and protected isn’t so good. There has been a shortage of the vaccine due to high levels of demand since last year.
“Recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV) is recommended for the prevention of herpes zoster and related complications for immunocompetent adults aged ≥50 years.”Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for Use of Herpes Zoster Vaccines
Fortunately, we will likely see more doses of the vaccine available this year and everyone will eventually be able to get vaccinated. In addition to your doctor or favorite pharmacy, the Shingrix Vaccine Locator might help you find a dose until the shortage is over.
More on the Shingles Vaccine Shortage
- VAXOPEDIA – Can You Still Get Shingles After Having the Chicken Pox Vaccine?
- VAXOPEDIA – Can the Shingles Vaccine Cause Shingles?
- VAXOPEDIA – What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Shingles
- VAXOPEDIA – Does the Chicken Pox Vaccine Protect You from Shingles?
- VAXOPEDIA – Is the Chicken Pox Vaccine Creating a Shingles Epidemic?
- VAXOPEDIA – Why Was My Titer Negative After My Chicken Pox Vaccine?
- VAXOPEDIA – 10 Myths About Chicken Pox and the Chicken Pox Vaccine
- CDC – What Everyone Should Know about Shingles Vaccine
- Zoster (Shingles) ACIP Vaccine Recommendations
- CDC – Shingrix VIS
- CDC – Current Vaccine Shortages & Delays
- ‘All I want for Christmas’ is the shingles vaccine, but it’s nearly impossible to find
- Ask the Experts about Zoster (shingles) Vaccines
- Dr. David Brownstein fought Shingrix, and Shingrix won
- Scramble For Shingles Vaccine: How To Cope With Shingrix Shortage
- Shortage of shingles vaccine Shingrix frustrates patients
- Shingles Vaccine Shortage Continues
- Shingrix Vaccine Locator
Last Updated on