Vaccines are given to people in multiple ways.
They can, depending on the vaccine, be:
- injected into a muscle (IM)
- injected under the skin (SQ)
- sprayed in your nose (intranasal)
- ingested (oral)
No vaccine is injected directly into the blood stream though.
Anti-vaccine folks sometimes say that they are to scare you away from vaccinating and protecting your kids.
Ingested vs. Injected Myths
The other time you may hear the ingested vs injected issue come up is when someone argues that vaccines are dangerous because you are injecting toxins into a child’s bloodstream.
Of course, this is a poor argument because there are no toxins in vaccines and as we have said, vaccines aren’t even injected into the bloodstream.
But what if you did?
It likely wouldn’t work, or at least, wouldn’t work as well.
Getting the route correct is important if you want it to work properly.
Anti-vaccine folks who try and scare you into thinking that injected “skips the boy’s entire detox pathway” don’t understand that all blood eventually goes through the liver and kidneys, which filter and detoxify harmful substances.
And this may scare some folks even more, but they should know that whether a “toxin” entered their body through a needle through their skin, the air they are breathing, or something they ate, it is likely going to make its way to their bloodstream before they get rid of it.
More on Ingested vs. Injected Vaccine Myths
- Anti-Vaccine Points Refuted A Thousand Times
- Vaccines and the Blood-Brain Barrier
- What Do Anti-Vaccine Folks Actually Know About Vaccines?
- Aren’t Vaccines Made for Adults?
- Injection vs Ingestion. Myths and Facts.
- Injection vs ingestion: is there a difference?
- Ask the Experts: Administering Vaccines
- Administering Vaccines : Dose, Route, Site, and Needle Size
- Understanding How Vaccines Work
- How Vaccines Work
- Is There a Difference Between Aluminum That Is Injected vs. Ingested?
- The Zombie Apocalypse or vaccine myths that won’t die
- Basic vaccine chemistry – help for science deniers
- Cries the antivaccinationist: Why are we injecting TOXINS into our babies?
- Toxic myths about vaccines
- What is Toxicokinetics?