Although the first yellow fever vaccine was developed in 1935, a yellow fever vaccine wasn’t licensed in the United States until 1953.
The current yellow fever vaccine, YF-VAX, is a live vaccine that is given as a single dose to adults and children who are at least 9-months-old.
Still, it was mosquito control more than the yellow fever vaccine that helped control yellow fever in the United States.
Unfortunately, yellow continues to be a big problem in many areas of the world, especially parts of Africa and South America. In fact, a yellow fever vaccine is required before travel to certain countries.
We even saw deadly outbreaks of yellow fever in some countries.
Yellow Fever Vaccine Shortage
Shockingly, the United States is currently out of Yellow Fever vaccines while the manufacturer continues to finish a new manufacturing facility..
“Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the only yellow fever vaccine (YF-VAX) licensed in the United States, has announced that their stock of YF-VAX is totally depleted as of July 24, 2017.”
You might be able to still get one if you can find a pharmacy or clinic that still has some left, but otherwise, you will be left looking for Stamaril, a version of the yellow fever vaccine that is used in at least 70 other countries.
YF-VAX will hopefully be available by mid-2018.
What To Know About the Yellow Fever Vaccine
Yellow fever is still a risk in area of Africa and South America, so be sure to find a yellow fever vaccine, even might be hard with the current shortages, if you are traveling to a high risk area.
More Information on Yellow Fever Vaccines:
- CDC – Search for Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinics
- MMWR – Update: Temporary Total Depletion of U.S. Licensed Yellow Fever Vaccine for Civilian Travelers Addressed by Investigational New Drug Use of Imported Stamaril Vaccine
- WHO – Yellow fever outbreak Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda 2016-2017
- Yellow Fever Vaccination: What Everyone Should Know
- Yellow Fever VIS
- Yellow Fever ACIP Vaccine Recommendations
- CDC – Yellow Fever (Yellow Book)
- FDA – YF-Vax (package insert)
- A Look at Each Vaccine : Yellow Fever
- History of the Yellow Fever Vaccines
- CDC – What is yellow fever?
- WHO – Yellow fever global vaccine stockpile in emergencies
- WHO – Lower doses of yellow fever vaccine could be used in emergencies
Updated August 2, 2017