While all states continue to have medical exemptions to getting vaccinated, more and more are eliminating their religious exemptions.
Do you find that surprising?
Why Are States Eliminating Religious Exemptions for Immunizations?
If you do, it might change your mind once you realize that no major religion is actually against immunizations.
“One is morally free to use the vaccine regardless of its historical association with abortion. The reason is that the risk to public health, if one chooses not to vaccinate, outweighs the legitimate concern about the origins of the vaccine. This is especially important for parents, who have a moral obligation to protect the life and health of their children and those around them.”The National Catholic Bioethics Center FAQ on the Use of Vaccines
In fact, nearly all religions actively support getting kids vaccinated and protected. That makes sense, as vaccines are safe, with few risks, and unvaccinated kids are at increased risk to get a vaccine-preventable disease and put other kids at risk too.
So why do folks get religious exemptions?
More on Religious Exemptions for Immunizations
- How to Claim a Vaccine Exemption
- The Catholic Church and Vaccines
- National Catholic Bioethics Center on Vaccines
- The Moral Responsibility of the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- Why Is a Kentucky Teen Who Refused to Get Vaccinated Suing His School?
- Catholic Schools Diocese of Buffalo Vaccine Letter
- National Catholic Bioethics Center FAQ on the Use of Vaccines
- You Can Be the Pro-Life Parent of a Fully Vaccinated Child
- Catholics urged to remember ‘common good’ in vaccine debate
- Religion and vaccinations – a review of the current knowledge
- Using religion to avoid vaccination
- Praying, in Vain, for Exemption
- Religious exemptions for vaccination – abuse and reform
- Court upholds policy denying religious exemptions to vaccines
- Mandatory Immunization Laws and the Role of Medical, Religious and Philosophical Exemptions
- Some anti-vaccination parents cite religious exemptions. Measles outbreaks could change that.