Like everywhere else, measles has been on the rise in Texas. And like everywhere else, we have also seen a rise in misinformation about measles and measles outbreaks in Texas.
Only three were unvaccinated? Is that true?
Misinformation About Measles Outbreaks in Texas
Actually, when you look at the official statistics, you find that there were only three cases that were known to be fully vaccinated!
While it is true that only three were known to be fully unvaccinated, there are another five people with unknown status who might also be fully unvaccinated.
And then there are those who are partially vaccinated, with just one dose of MMR. As most folks know, two doses of MMR provide the best protection against measles. Six more of the cases are known to have had just one dose of MMR and another four had an unknown number of doses, so could have been partially vaccinated.
And again, there are the five with unknown status. While it is possible that they were fully vaccinated, or had one dose, it is also very likely that they were unvaccinated.
What can we say for sure?
The claim that “Only THREE out of the twenty-one cases were unvaccinated individuals” in the Texas measles outbreaks isn’t true.
You could just as easily say that “Only THREE out of the twenty-one cases were known to be fully vaccinated individuals.” And at least that statement would be truthful, as it includes the caveat that you are only talking about those with known immunization status…
Were any of the cases in children attending school with an exemption?
At least nine of the cases were in children, but there haven’t been any media reports of outbreaks or exposures in schools, so I am guessing not.
Some schools in Texas have very high rates of vaccine exemptions and a case of measles could lead to a big outbreak.
More on the Measles Outbreaks in Texas
- The Myth That Measles Never Left
- Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated – Measles Outbreak Edition
- Do More Vaccinated or Unvaccinated Kids Get Sick in Outbreaks?
- How Many People Get Measles Each Year?
- What to Do If Your Child Is Exposed to Measles
- How Do You Know If You Have Measles Immunity?
- Do You Need Another Dose of the MMR Vaccine?
- More About Measles Deaths in the United States
- CDC – Measles Cases and Outbreaks
- Measles – Timeline | History of Vaccine
- Ask the Experts about MMR
- Immunize Texas
- Texas Measles Cases 2019