Breaking News – there is a new case in King County (see below)
After all, those outbreaks make up the majority of measles cases that have occured so far this year.
The Puget Sound Measles Outbreak
Have you heard of the latest outbreak?
This one, also centered in the Pacific Northwest, began with exposures to a traveler with measles at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on April 25.
“A Canadian resident from British Columbia who traveled to the Seattle area in late April 2019 has been diagnosed with measles. The traveler, a man in his 40s, has since recovered from his illness.
Prior to arriving in King County, he spent time in Japan and New York during the period that he was infected, two places that currently have measles outbreaks. This case has no connection to the recently-ended measles outbreak based in Clark County, Washington state.
While he was infectious with measles, he spent time in the Seattle area at several locations, including popular tourist attractions and Sea-Tac Airport. Anyone who does not have immunity to measles through vaccination or from previously having measles is at risk for infection if they were at a location of measles exposure.”Measles case in traveler to King County
Those exposures have led to cases in:
- King County – 6
- Pierce County – 2
- Snohomish County – 1
The latest case is a six-month old infant in King County, with exposures at the Seattle Children’s Hospital Emergency Dept on May 24.
“This case was a household contact of a person diagnosed with measles earlier this month, and was not exposed to measles in the community.”A new case of measles diagnosed in a King County resident
With exposures in Bothell, Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Orting, Bonney Lake, Puyallup, Renton, Auburn, Issaquah, Woodinville, Kent, and Seattle.
And that’s what has led to the name Puget Sound outbreak. The Puget Sound is an inlet of the Pacific Ocean along the northwest coast of Washington, near Everett, Olympia, Seattle, and Tacoma.
How big will this outbreak get?
It’s anyone’s guess at this point, keeping in mind that all it would take is for one of these exposures to be in a “pocket of susceptibles” with low immunization rates to start a big outbreak.
More on the Puget Sound Measles Outbreak
- The Pacific Northwest Measles Outbreak of 2019
- Why Are We Having Measles Outbreaks If MMR Vaccination Rates Are Not Declining?
- Do You Need Another Dose of the MMR Vaccine?
- Is the MMR Safe for 6-Month-Old Babies?
- Can MMR Shedding Start a Measles Outbreak?
- Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated – Measles Outbreak Edition
- A new case of measles diagnosed in a King County resident
Seventhperson confirmed to have measles in Puget Sound outbreak
- Pierce County measles investigation
- Measles cases and exposure locations in King County
- Measles in Washington State
- Measles case in traveler to King County
- Vaccine-wary ‘hippie’ island near Seattle sees vaccination rates skyrocket
- Immunization Action Coalition of Washington
Last Updated on