Although most anti-vaccine folks have moved on to aluminum by now, some are still sticking by thimerosal as their favorite “toxin” in vaccines to blame for causing so-called vaccine-induced diseases.
“Well, here are the numbers. And the numbers change every year. I think in 2012, there were 185 million doses of flu doses manufactured in this country. And I think fewer than 10 million were thimerosal-free. Over 90 percent had huge, huge doses of mercury.”
An interview with Robert Kennedy Jr. on vaccines
Huge, huge doses of mercury?
Although it was never actually linked to any significant side effects, as a “precautionary measure,” the AAP recommended that thimerosal (mercury) be removed from childhood vaccines in 1999.
Thimerosal was removed from the hepatitis B, DTaP, and Hib vaccines, the only routinely used, non-flu vaccines that ever had thimerosal, in 2001. It is important to note that thimerosal-free versions of the DTaP and Hib vaccines were already available in the late 1990s though.
By January 2003, remaining stocks of vaccines with thimerosal expired.
Also in 2003, thimerosal-free flu vaccines became available, including thimerosal-free flu shots and FluMist, the nasal spray flu vaccine.
Doing the Math on Kennedy, Vaccines and Mercury
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr seems to get a lot of things wrong.
Is he right about the number of thimerosal-free flu vaccines in 2012?
Let’s do the math.
Ever since thimerosal-free flu vaccines became available in 2003, the supply has increased each year.
- 2007-08: 112 million doses, with 10-12 million doses of thimerosal-free flu vaccine from Sanofi Pasteur, 7 million doses of thimerosal free FluMist, plus Afluria was thimerosal-free, and flu vaccines with trace thimerosal from Novartis and GSK
- 2008-09: 110 million doses, with 50 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine and only 25% infants and toddlers are fully vaccinated against flu
- 2009-10: 114 million doses, with 50 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine
- 2010-11: 155 million doses, with 74 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine
- 2011-12: 132 million doses, with 79 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine
- 2012-13: 134 million doses, with 62 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine, including 13 to 14 million doses of FluMist. While 76% of infants and toddlers were vaccinated, only 50% of pregnant women got a flu shot.
- 2013-14: 134 million doses, with 62 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine. 13 million doses of FluMist.
- 2014-15: 147 million doses, with 98 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine. 14 to 15 million doses of FluMist.
- 2015-16: 146 million doses, with 116-118 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine
- 2016-17: 145 million doses, with 120 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine
- 2017-18: 155 million doses, with 130 million doses of thimerosal-free or preservative-free (trace thimerosal) influenza vaccine
So Kennedy was wildly wrong about the number of thimerosal-free flu vaccines that were available in 2012. And he is certainly wrong about the number of thimerosal-free flu vaccines that are available today.
“Over 90 percent had huge, huge doses of mercury. Not trace amounts as the industry likes to claim. Trace amounts means less than 1 microgram. They contain 25 micrograms, which is 25 times trace amount and over 100 times what EPA’s safe exposure levels are. … So today, in the last three or four years, that number has been reduced to 48 million.”
Which number has been reduced to 48 million?
“I believe this year there were 150, around 150 million flu doses manufactured and 48 million of those, or a third, were loaded with mercury.”
An interview with Robert Kennedy Jr. on vaccines
What about his theory about the way the “industry” uses the term trace amounts?
There has never been a conspiracy to hide the thimerosal content of flu shots or any other vaccines. Those with trace amounts of thimerosal clearly have less than or equal to 1mcg per dose. Others were either thimerosal free or contained a standard amount of thimerosal, 25mcg.
Not surprisingly, this isn’t the first time Kennedy has tried to mislead people about vaccines.
“There is no question that meningococcal meningitis is a serious disease that can cause death and disability, but we need to ensure that the solution is not worse than the problem. There is every reason to believe that mandatory meningococcal B vaccines for every college student could kill more students than the disease they protect against. Before we relinquish our rights, pay millions and sicken students, we should do the math.”
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.: Doing the math on meningitis vaccinations
A few years ago, Kennedy responded to a resolution that had been passed by the University of Colorado-Boulder student government about new meningococcal B vaccines.
For some reason, he devoted a good deal of time talking about the “hefty mercury load” that kids could get from Menomune, a vaccine that doesn’t cover the meningococcal B strain and which has largely been replaced by the newer Menactra (2006) and Menveo (2010) vaccines. In fact, Menomune was discontinued last year.
What to Know About Robert F Kennedy, Jr
Kennedy seems to mislead people about thimerosal and vaccines at every opportunity he can.
More on Robert F Kennedy, Jr
- An interview with Robert Kennedy Jr. on vaccines
- Correcting Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s vaccine ‘facts’
- MMWR – Notice to Readers: Thimerosal in Vaccines: A Joint Statement of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Public Health Service
- CDC – Timeline: Thimerosal in Vaccines (1999-2010)
- CDC – Thimerosal in Vaccines
- CDC – Frequently Asked Questions about Thimerosal
- FDA – Thimerosal and Vaccines
- CDC – Historical Reference of Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Doses Distributed
- CDC – Influenza vaccines — United States, 2017–18 influenza season
- CDC – Influenza Vaccination Coverage among Children Aged 6–23 Months — United States, 2008–09 Influenza Season
- CDC – Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Pregnant Women — United States, 2012–13 Influenza Season
- CDC – Flu Vaccination Coverage, United States, 2012-13 Influenza Season
- The Conspiracy-Ridden Worldview of Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
- How Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Distorted Vaccine Science
- Is The CDC Hiding Data About Mercury, Vaccines, And Autism?
- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and his World Mercury Project: Antivaccine, NOT “fiercely pro-vaccine”
- Robert Kennedy Jr.’s strange remarks on autism
- Mr. Kennedy, if you know the science, why did you claim that the MMR vaccine contains mercury?
- Salon retracts Robert Kennedy’s “Deadly Immunity”