One of the benefits of natural immunity is that after you get sick with a disease, you get life long immunity.
At least usually.
It is often a surprise to some people that some diseases don’t give life long immunity, most notably pertussis infections and tetanus, which typically doesn’t give any natural immunity at all.
How Long Does Immunity from Vaccines Last?
What about vaccines?
Do you get life long immunity after vaccines?
If you know about the issues of waning immunity with some vaccines, then you already know the answer. And even if you didn’t know that immunity from the mumps and pertussis vaccines can wear off, then you likely do know that you need a tetanus booster every 10 years, so that vaccine doesn’t give life long immunity.
How long is the protection from other vaccines?
- the measles vaccine provides protection for at least 35 years
- the hepatitis B vaccine provides protection for at least 20 years
- the hepatitis A vaccine provides protection for at least 14 years
- the chicken pox vaccine provides protection for at least 20 years
- both the oral and inactivated polio vaccines provide long lasting protection
- the rubella vaccine provides protection for at least 21 years
- Gardasil provides protection for at least 8 years
- the Hib vaccine provides protection for at least 9 years
- like tetanus, the diphtheria vaccine provides protection for at about 10 years
- the pneumococcal vaccine (Prevnar) provides protection for at least 5 years
Why do we say “at least” in so many cases?
In general, that’s how long these vaccines have been around. As time goes by, we will hopefully find that they last much longer.
What To Know About the Duration of Protection from Vaccines
Although some vaccines require boosters, most vaccines provide long-lasting protection.
More Information About Duration of Protection from Vaccines
- Duration of Protection, Efficacy and Effectiveness
- CDC – Varicella Vaccine Effectiveness and Duration of Protection
- Study – Duration of Immunity Against Pertussis After Natural Infection or Vaccination
- Study – Duration of Humoral Immunity to Common Viral and Vaccine Antigens
- Study – Effectiveness of pertussis vaccination and duration of immunity
- Book – Vaccines, 6th Edition