It probably doesn’t surprise you to learn that anti-maskers have an awful lot in common with anti-vaxxers.
No, not everyone who is anti-mask is anti-vaccine, but you can be pretty sure that you average anti-vaxxer is anti-mask.
What Do Anti-Maskers Have in Common With Anti-Vaxxers?
Most of us could see this coming at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, as all of the usual suspects who push misinformation about vaccines were already working to make people think that the SARS-CoV-2 virus wasn’t really that deadly, so they didn’t have to worry about wearing masks or staying away from people, etc.
It’s clear though that these folks, who were already against vaccines, want nothing to do with the COVID-19 vaccines that are being developed.
But what does that have to do with masks?
Think about it…
If you believe that the SARS-CoV-2 virus is deadly and should be avoided by wearing a mask and social distancing, then it would be harder to think that you also shouldn’t get vaccinated and protected once they develop a safe and effective vaccine, right? So to avoid this kind of cognitive dissonance, these anti-vaxxers become anti-maskers.
There are many other cognitive biases, heuristics, and logical fallacies that anti-maskers share with anti-vaxxers. From bandwagoning and omission bias to optimism bias and wanting to be in control, the cognitive phenomena that influences this kind of thinking is well known.
Throw in a tendency to believe in conspiracy theories, pseudoscience, and alternative “medicine” and you have a group of people that will not only help to keep the COVID-19 pandemic going, but may start outbreaks of measles and other vaccine-preventable diseases.
So yes, anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers have an awful lot in common.
Don’t fall for either.
Wear a mask, wash your hands, practice social distancing, and make sure you and your family are up-to-date on all of your vaccines.
More on Anti-Maskers and Anti-Vaxxers
- The AV Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Why There is Still So Much COVID-19 Confusion
- Investigating the Bill Gates for Medical Malpractice and Crimes Against Humanity Claims
- Who is Making Up the Novel Coronavirus Conspiracy Theories?
- Who Are the Real COVID-19 Experts?
- Is There Evidence for That Therapy, or No?
- It’s Just More Anti-Vaccine Misinformation
- More Questions to Help You Become a Vaccine Skeptic
- Misinformation and disinformation about facemasks and COVID-19
- Do face masks decrease the risk of COVID-19 transmission?
- Anti-vaccine activists, mask opponents target public health officials — at their homes
- Are anti-maskers the new anti-vaxxers? How a piece of cloth in the pandemic became so politicized
- From anti-vax to anti-mask: School districts brace for parent resistance
- Anti-masking groups draw from anti-vaccination playbook to spread misinformation
- Masks Fall When Antivaxxers Congregate
- Mom Influencers on Instagram Are Spreading Anti-Mask Propaganda
- Lord Cuomo, We Will Not Be Your Lab Rats: Anti-Vaxxer Appropriation of #BlackLivesMatter and #Reopen Protests
- Politics vs the pandemic: Are anti-maskers like anti-vaxxers?
- From the anti-vaxxers to flat earthers: what makes people distrust science?
- The latest rallying cry of coronavirus deniers, brought to you by Orange County
- Threats against Dr. Anthony Fauci reveal a big problem in the COVID fight
- Perplexed by the “anti-maskers”
- Are we becoming too stupid to govern ourselves?