Polio is close to being eradicated.
So far this year, there have only been 11 cases of wild polio in the world – 6 in Afghanistan and 5 in Pakistan.
“In 1952 alone, nearly 60,000 children were infected with the virus; thousands were paralyzed, and more than 3,000 died.”
Jason Beaubien on Wiping Out Polio: How The U.S. Snuffed Out A Killer
Who Is Robin Cavendish?
Robin Francis Cavendish was born on March 12, 1930 in Middleton, Derbyshire, England.
After an early career in the Army, he helped start a tea-brokering business in Africa and made frequent trips to Kenya.
Although he was initially given just three months to live after his diagnosis, with the help of his wife Diana, he was able to survive for another 36 years!
And they did a lot with those years, including:
- using a specially adapted van to travel around England
- developing a wheelchair with a built-in respirator with their friend, Oxford professor Teddy Hall and his company Littlemore Scientific Engineering. Their first prototype of their portable respirator was released in 1962 – the Cavendish Chair.
- helping scientists develop the Possum, a device that helped severely disabled people electronically control their environment, including answer the phone or turn on the TV
- becoming an advocate for other polio survivors
- co-founding the charity Refresh with Dr. Geoffrey Spencer, which started as a way for families who needed extra help because of the need for a respirator to go on vacation together
The story of his remarkable life is told in the new movie Breathe.
And while it is also a great reminder of what life was like before we had vaccines, we shouldn’t forget about all of the other polio survivors, some of whom now have to deal with post-polio syndrome.
Nor the fact that we are so close to ending polio. Or at least new polio infections.
What to Know About Robin Cavendish
Robin Cavendish was a respirator dependent polio survivor whose life story is told in the new movie Breathe.
More About Robin Cavendish and Surviving Polio
- Obituary: Robin Cavendish
- Polio hits Hollywood big screen in Breathe
- Breathe – Official Site
- This Week in Polio
- Wiping Out Polio: How The U.S. Snuffed Out A Killer
- My Polio Story is an Inconvenient Truth to Those Who Refuse Vaccines
- Parents PACK Personal Stories – Polio
- My Life As A Polio Survivor
- Polio Survivors Network
- Polio Survivors in the 21st Century
- Why I am sharing my story as a polio survivor
- Polio Survivors Association
- Pennsylvania Polio Survivor Network
- Polio Survivors & Associates
- Post-Polio Health International
- After Effects of Polio Can Harm Survivors 40 Years Later
- Museum of Negative Pressure Ventilators
- The Iron Lung and Other Equipment
- The iron lung – a polio patient’s story
Last Updated on