Even as most of us understand that vaccines are safe and necessary, we are all free to make our own choices about vaccines and most other things in life. No one is forced to vaccinate their kids, despite what folks try to tell you.
Also, despite what many folks think, parents who choose to skip or delay vaccines have a lot of different reasons for doing so.
Kat Von D Just Took Away Your Vaccine Choice
Why has Kat Von D, a celebrity tattoo artist, decided to skip her child’s vaccines?
It seems that she wants to “raise a vegan child, without vaccinations,” even though many other vegans do indeed vaccinate their kids.
Why do we care what celebrities do with their kids? Well, for one thing, with 6.7 million followers on Instagram, she has the potential to influence a lot of people, not that anyone should really be taking health advice from a celebrity.
“My point being: I already know what it’s like to make life choices that are not the same as the majority. So your negative comments are not going influence my choices – actual research and educating myself will – which i am diligently doing.
This is my body. This is our child. And this is our pregnancy journey.”
Kat Von D
Just consider her comments about choices.
Kat Von D is all about making her own life choices, but in reality, she is taking away the choice for anyone who gets sick if they are exposed to her intentionally unvaccinated kid, if her child ever gets sick.
But how would her unvaccinated child get anyone else sick? While vaccine-preventable diseases don’t magically appear inside our bodies, we catch them from other people, if you have skipped or delayed a vaccine, then you have a much higher chance of getting one than someone who is vaccinated and protected. And since you can be contagious before you even have symptoms, you can expose others before you even know that you are sick.
Sure, most other people are vaccinated, but many are at risk because some are too young to be vaccinated, have true medical exemptions to getting vaccinated, including kids with immune system problems and cancer, and sometimes, vaccines don’t work.
Unlike parents who used to take their kids to chicken pox parties, you don’t have a choice if your child gets measles because they were exposed to an intentionally unvaccinated child at daycare, school, or the grocery store. In fact, that’s a reason that many pediatricians now dismiss unvaccinated families.
Hopefully Kat Von D and her husband will really continue doing “actual research” about vaccines and she will understand that the best choice we can all make is to get our kids and ourselves vaccinated and protected. At least she should understand that her choice about vaccines shouldn’t put the rest of us at risk.
What to Know About Kat Von D and Her Vaccine Choice
Kat Von D choice to raise an unvaccinated child and tell her 6.7 million followers on Instagram affects us all.
More on Kat Von D and Her Vaccine Choice
- Anti-vax and Veganism – The Reasonable Vegan
- Veganism, Vaccines and Vitriol: why you should get your shots, even if you’re vegan
- Why You Should Vaccinate – The Vegan Biologist
- Do Vegan Kids get Vaccinated?
- Vegan Flu Shots: A Guide
- Growing Up Unvaccinated
- FDA approves a new flu vaccine – with no eggs
- Is Vaccinating a Private Choice?
- To the Parent of the Unvaccinated Child Who Exposed my Family to Measles
- One more time: Vaccine refusal endangers everyone, not just the unvaccinated
- Why Worry About the Unvaccinated?
- When It’s Not a Choice: Measles and Leukemia
- The Hidden Cost of Avoiding Vaccines
- Is Your Child’s Classmate Unvaccinated?
- Growing Up Unvaccinated
- The Unvaccinated Children We Love
- Is my unvaccinated family putting my child at risk?
- Protecting Those Who Need It Most
- Why I won’t let unvaccinated people around my kids
- Mixing unvaccinated children with vaccinated children: Whose rights prevail?
- I used to be a vaccine skeptic. Now I’m a believer.
- Why I wish my daughter had been vaccinated
- Haunted by memories of the consequences of not vaccinating
- My son has cancer. He can’t go into day care because of unvaccinated children.
- I Used To Be Anti-Vaccine
- I was Duped by the Anti-Vaccine Movement
- Learning the Hard Way: My Journey from #AntiVaxx to Science
- I Didn’t Vaccinate My Child—And I Regret It
- Some Parents Fall for Vaccination Scare Stories, with Deadly Results
- Psychological Biases Play A Part In Vaccination Decisions