Luc Montagnier is a French virologist who has been getting a lot of attention in anti-vaccine circles lately.
“One of the defining features of the late 20th century was the discovery of the AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) virus, now known as HIV. Luc Antoine Montagnier led the team that identified the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and shared half the 2008 Nobel Prize with his colleague Françoise Barré-Sinoussi.”Prof. Dr. Luc Montagnier
Mostly because he believes that SARS-CoV-2 virus is not only man made, but that it contains sequences of HIV, and that COVID vaccines are creating new variants.
Who is Luc Montagnier?
Wait, how do you go from winning a Noble Prize to pushing conspiracy theories during a pandemic?
“‘Nobel disease’ is a term designed to describe whatever it is that drives some Nobel laureates to embrace pseudoscience or quackery later in their careers.”The Nobel Disease strikes again: Luc Montagnier goes full antivax, with a little help from Henri Joyeux
That’s not too hard to understand, after all, although he received his Nobel Prize in 2008, it was for work he did in the early to mid 1980s.
And Luc Montagnier didn’t actually make the connection that the HIV virus is the cause of AIDS. That discovery goes to Robert Gallo.
“Shortly after winning the Nobel Prize, Montagnier started to make headlines when he claimed that a “good immune system” was enough to protect people against AIDS. He has also become known for being anti-vaccination and pro-homeopathy and believes that “water has memory,” a theory that has been discredited by the scientific community.”COVID-19 vaccines do not create the virus’ variants
What makes it a little more difficult though, is that some of the most outrageous things that Luc Montagnier has reportedly said aren’t really true, although you could easily picture him saying some of this stuff!
After all, this is the same Luc Montagnier who began appearing at anti-vaccine, autism conferences about a decade ago (where he must have been doing research for his Chronimed biomed treatments in France…).
- Fact check: Nobel Prize winner did not say COVID-19 vaccine recipients have ‘no chance of survival’
- No, French virologist Luc Montagnier didn’t say COVID-19 vaccine recipients were going to die soon
So it’s not true that Luc Montagnier said that “all vaccinated people will die within two years.”
Wait, why were all of these vaccinated supposedly people going to die?
“They will all die from antibody dependent enhancement. Nothing more can be said.”False quote attributed to Luc Montagnier
They were going to die from ADE.
It’s good to know that’s not true!
Still, while Luc Montagnier hasn’t said that everyone will die if they get vaccinated because of ADE, he has said that COVID vaccines are producing the new SARS-CoV-2 variants, are causing ADE, and that “the curve of vaccination is followed by the curve of deaths”.
Luc Montagnier also seems to think that he proved that homeopathy works.
“However, since 2009, he has proposed that novel electromagnetic energy signals emanate from the DNA of bacterial pathogens (Montagnier et al., 2009a). The electromagnetic radiation is of low frequency (about 1000 Hz) and survives extraordinary dilution, reminiscent of Benveniste’s highly diluted immunoglobulin molecules.”Beyond the fringe: when science moves from innovative to nonsense
And he thinks that autism has an “infectious trail.”
He is the cofounder of Chronimed, an association doctors treating autistic children with expensive, experimental therapies, including restrictive diets, long-term courses of antibiotics, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-viral drugs, in addition to chelation therapy.
“I have found these signals coming from bacterial DNA in the plasma of many patients with autism, and also in most, if not all, patients with Alzheimer, Parkinson’s disease, and multiple sclerosis. It seems that the bacteria we are detecting are coming from the gut. So it is quite possible that products from gut bacteria end up in the plasma and cause damage to the brain.
The waves give us a biomarker to test for the presence of these bacteria, even when we can’t detect them with classical techniques like PCR.”Luc Montagnier
He thinks he detected electromagnetic signals from bacterial DNA in some children…
Of course, his new “research” on these signals was self-published and never reproduced by anyone else.
That hasn’t stopped thousands of autistic children from being prescribed year long courses of azithromycin, valcyclovir, doxycycline, fluconazole, tinidazole, amphotericin B, flubendazole, plaquenil, and hydroxycloroquine because of his ideas!
“French prosecutors said Thursday that they had opened an inquiry into dozens of doctors prescribing antibiotics and other drugs as a purported treatment for autism in children, potentially endangering their health.”France Probes Doctors Prescribing Antibiotics For Autism
He joins many other Nobel winners, such as Linus Pauling, Eli Mechnikov, and Kary Mullis as scientists who have won a Nobel Prize and then descended into unconventional, non science-based ideas.
More on Luc Montagnier
- How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Hurts Autistic Families
- The Truth About COVID-19 Vaccines
- Who’s Anti-Vaccine Now?
- I’m Not Anti-Vaccine, I Just Don’t Believe in the COVID-19 Vaccine
- About Those Urgent COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Warnings
- Prof. Dr. Luc Montagnier
- Beware the Nobel Laureate Argument from Authority
- Luc Montagnier: The Nobel disease strikes again
- Debunking Chronimed
- No, “HIV insertions” were not identified in the 2019 coronavirus, contrary to claims based on questionable bioinformatics study
- Fact Check-There is no evidence to suggest COVID-19 vaccines will kill people by causing antibody- dependent enhancement, current evidence demonstrates the opposite
- COVID-19 vaccines do not create the virus’ variants
- Nobel laureate joins anti-vaccination crowd at Autism One
- Montagnier and the Autism Treatment Trust
- No, French virologist Montagnier didn’t say ‘all vaccinated people will die within two years’
- No evidence Nobel Laureate said vaccinated people will die in two years
- Nobel laureate Luc Montagnier embraces the conspiracy theory that SARS-CoV-2 was made in a Wuhan lab
- Nobel laureate Luc Montagnier inaccurately claims that the novel coronavirus is man-made and contains genetic material from HIV
- COVID-19 vaccines do not create coronavirus variants
- Fact check: Coronavirus variants come from mutations, not vaccines
- Debunking the claim that vaccines cause new COVID-19 variants
- The Nobel Disease strikes again: Luc Montagnier goes full antivax, with a little help from Henri Joyeux
- Nobel Laureate Luc Montagnier hits a new low: Age of Autism rallies to defend him
- The Montagnier “Homeopathy” Study
- It almost makes me disbelieve that HIV causes AIDS!
- Luc Montagnier Is Not Losing It. Luc Montagnier Has Lost It.
- Why I am Nominating Luc Montagnier for an IgNobel Prize
- Can Our DNA Electromagnetically ‘Teleport’ Itself? One Researcher Thinks So
- French Nobelist Escapes ‘Intellectual Terror’ to Pursue Radical Ideas in China
- The Man Who Photocopied DNA and Also Saw a Talking Fluorescent Raccoon
- COVID Has Created a Perfect Storm for Fringe Science
- “We have to clean up the autism community,” says journalist Olivia Cattan
- France Probes Doctors Prescribing Antibiotics For Autism
- Autism and pseudo-therapies: “Families are easy prey for charlatans”
- Beyond the fringe: when science moves from innovative to nonsense