It should surprise no one that a lot of medical experts have come out and voiced their support of continuing to fund the World Health Organization.
From nurses, pediatricians and infectious disease experts to the presidents of the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and the National Academy of Medicine, everyone agrees that funding for the World Health Organization must continue.
“The unprecedented public health crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic demands a comprehensive international response. President Trump’s announcement Tuesday that he will suspend funding to the World Health Organization is against all of our best interests. The members of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, its HIV Medicine Association, the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, and the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists call upon Congress to use all means at its disposal to counter this move.”Infectious Diseases Leaders Respond to President Trump’s Defunding of the World Health Organization
If nothing else, the COVID-19 pandemic highlights the need for strong public health systems at the local, national, and global levels.
“Fighting a worldwide health crisis of this magnitude requires collaboration, support and a unified global response, informed by science and data. The American Academy of Pediatrics urges the President to reverse his decision and to immediately reinstate vital funding to WHO so the agency can continue to support children, families and countries across the globe.”Mark Del Monte, JD, CEO/Executive Vice President, American Academy of Pediatrics
We need to fund public health, not make it harder for these experts do their jobs and protect us from coming epidemics, endemic diseases, and the next pandemic.
More on WHO Support
- Who Wants to Defund the World Health Organization?
- The Second COVID-19 Wave Might Not Be COVID-19
- The Value and Cost Savings of Getting Vaccinated
- Why Haven’t We Eradicated Measles Already?
- What Happens if We Stop Using Oral Polio Vaccines?
- Global Vaccine Side Effect Reporting Systems
- How To Counter Vaccine Hesitancy
- More Questions to Help You Become a Vaccine Skeptic
- ‘We Alerted The World’ To Coronavirus On Jan. 5, WHO Says In Response To U.S.
- FactChecking Trump’s Attack on the WHO
- Melinda Gates: The WHO absolutely needs to be funded
- USA: Congress must halt administration’s plan to suspend critical funding to WHO
- AAP Statement on Trump Administration Decision to Stop U.S. Funding for WHO
- APHA opposes Trump move to cut essential WHO funding
- Infectious Diseases Leaders Respond to President Trump’s Defunding of the World Health Organization
- AMA statement on halting World Health Organization funding
- AAFP Deeply Concerned About Funding Cuts to WHO During Pandemic
- ANA Statement Regarding Discontinuing US Funding For World Health Organization
- These World Leaders Are Standing in Solidarity With the World Health Organization’s COVID-19 Response
- U.S. Funding for World Health Organization Should Not Be Interrupted During COVID-19 Pandemic, Say Presidents of the NAS, NAE, and NAM
- President Trump’s Deadly Decision to End Funding for the World Health Organization: PHR
- ASH Statement: Halting Funding to the World Health Organization Harms More Than the COVID-19 Response
- Trump’s Decision to Halt World Health Organization Funding Is “Foolish and Reckless”
- Trump Administration Should Immediately Reverse Decision to Halt Funding for World Health Organization
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health Denounces Decision to Halt Funding to the WHO
- US Global Leadership Coalition CEO on Plans to Suspend U.S. Funding to WHO
- Withholding funding from the World Health Organization is wrong and dangerous, and must be reversed
- EU blasts Trump’s WHO funding cut during critical stage of pandemic