While some folks still believe that the flu is a mild infection, most people understand that the flu is a very dangerous disease.
A dangerous disease that kills hundreds of children and tens of thousands of adults each year in the United States.
Who Dies from the Flu?
In addition to thinking that the flu isn’t dangerous, some folks misunderstand just who is at risk for dying from the flu.
While it is certainly true that some people at higher risk than others, including those who are very young, very old, and those with chronic medical problems, it is very important to understand that just about anyone can die when they get the flu.
Just consider the 2017-18 flu season, in which 185 children died.
In addition to the fact that half of the kids who died were otherwise healthy, without an underlying high risk medical condition, it is important to realize that up to 80% were unvaccinated.
“Influenza vaccination during the 2015-2016 influenza season prevented an estimated 5.1 million illnesses, 2.5 million medical visits, 71,000 hospitalizations, and 3,000 P&I deaths.”
Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical Visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths Averted by Vaccination in the United States
Who dies from the flu?
Consider that one of the first flu deaths of the season was a 29-year-old Raleigh lawyer.
And the first pediatric flu death was an unvaccinated child in Florida without any underlying medical conditions.
Anyone can die from the flu.
More on Flu Deaths
- CDC – Vaccination: Who Should Do It, Who Should Not and Who Should Take Precautions
- Families Fighting Flu Stories
- Fight the Flu Foundation
- These families lost kids to the flu. Now, they’re fighting to prevent more deaths
- 12-year-old Florida boy dies of flu, family says
- Carpentersville 5-year-old dies of flu complications: ‘She was the most loving, beautiful girl’
- Family warns of dangers after 21-year-old dies of flu complications
- Florida family shocked after healthy 12-year-old boy dies of flu
- 14-Year-Old Thousand Oaks Girl Dies From Flu Complications
- 8-Year-Old Girl Is Latest NJ Kid to Die From Flu: Officials
- Colorado reports first child flu death of the season, little girl still in coma after flu
- Second Child In Mass. Dies From Flu-Related Illness
- 3-year-old dies from flu; first child death of flu season in Ohio
- 4-year-old Garland girl dies from flu
- CDC – Summary of the 2017-2018 Influenza Season
- CDC – Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical Visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths Averted by Vaccination in the United States
- CDC – CDC Reported Flu Deaths in Children Exceeds Seasonal High
- Study – Influenza-Associated Pediatric Deaths in the United States, 2010–2016
- Study – Influenza-associated pediatric deaths in the United States, 2004-2012.
- Influenza Associated Pediatric Mortality
- CDC – Estimating Seasonal Influenza-Associated Deaths in the United States